This course is an introduction to the political, economic, and demographic forces that have shaped American cities from the colonial era to the present, with a focus on the city of Chicago. We will explore:
1) Who lives in cities? (migration/immigration)
2) What is urban everyday life like? (work, school, social activities)
3) What do cities provide, and for whom? (struggles of power, politics)
4) What is the relationship between cities, rural and suburban areas? (geography)
5) How do U.S. cities compare to cities around the world?
- Teacher: Cristina Groeger